Rich and substantial, this Depression-era cake is wonderful with or without icing. No eggs or butter, just powdered sugar.
When you're low on resources yet craving something sweet, create this. This delicious cake can be made and baked in an 8x8 pan.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
1) 1-1/2 cups flour
2) 1 cup sugar
3) 1 tsp baking soda
4) ½ tsp salt
5) 1 tsp white vinegar
6) 5 TBSP vegetable oil
7) 1 cup water
8) 2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Get the oven ready at 350 degrees. Prepare an 8-by-8-inch greased baking dish.
2) Combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt) in a casserole dish.
3) Mix the dry ingredients with the vinegar, vanilla, and oil.
4) Add the water and stir until everything is uniform.
5) Let 30-35 minutes for baking Let it cool and serve it immediately!